Translate

**If you have previously subscribed to received my posts via email: Please subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin in the right sidebar.**

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Odd Show National Scrapbook Day Extravaganza - 5:30pm EST How to Make an Embossing Folder


How-to Make your own Embossing Template for Cuttlebug Tutorial by Susan M. Brown {sbartist}:

Since I am usually doing my creating in the middle of the night, I had a "lightbulb MOMENT" one night to make an embossing template to give a stamp some "ooommmph"! Mind you this was over two years AGO. I've even made one of a NY Yankees logo symbol to emboss into an envelope for a custom wedding card I made by request for a friend. I made this for new years with "Happy New Year" #9611 stamp from Viva Las Vegastamps!


I did this for one of my jumbo T!m Holtz stamps...long before T!m had his embossing folders. This is my finished piece. I painted a sheet of gloss paper with alcohol inks, topped with pounced metallic alcohol inks for that hammered metal look. But flat, it was lacking... 



It's really easy and you only need a couple things you probably already have lying around your craft area - and the best part it's FREE!!!You need: A stamp you want to emboss; some lightweight chipboard that you can cut with scissors comfortably [I use my T!m Holtz Tonic Scissors] - or - thick cardstock; ink, adhesive; and that thin rubber mat used for nestabilities -OR- a "NO SHIMS MAT" from AlteredPages.com


STEP #1: Stamp your image on one piece of chipboard cut to exact same size of finished piece. Set this one aside.





Then stamp image on another piece of chipboard a couple of times [this will vary on thickness of cardstock or chipboard]. Cut out the areas you want to raise up and glue these one on top of another directly onto the final finished size piece [from step #1]. You can make chosen areas as thick as you want. I added two additional layers to the base layer. If you make it too thick, your embossed edges may crack/tear.






Final embossed areas number 3, 4, 5 0, and 7. The rest of the image is left flat.



OK - now you are going to take this and place it UNDERNEATH your finished pretty stamped piece, line it up and temporarily adhere it with removable tape or adhesive so it doesn't shift as you run it through the cuttlebug. Then place the rubber "SHIM" mat on top and run through the cuttlebug...and voila! The rubber mat forms around the raised areas while protecting the surface. Gently remove the layers and the embossed template to reuse again. I used this template 6 or 7 times and it still looks like I could get a few more impressions.


PLEASE NOTE: Please do a test run or two before doing your final piece to make any adjustments on your layers - you may need a shim or adjust layers for less pressure.

Here are the results - I had a couple cracks at the corner of the 3 near the 4 and 5. I easily masked these by coloring on the backside of the paper with a matching marker where the cracks were. They blended right in.








This added that extra "Pop" that it needed for this metal look. This technique is quick and easy and didn't cost me $10 for the Cricut Cuttlebug template kit. Money saved for real crafty desires $$. And when it's no good anymore...I can pop it in the recycle bin!!!


I'd love to hear how this worked for you. Please post a comment on my Facebook Page with a photo. If you have any questions regarding any of the steps, please leave a comment and I'll respond ASAP.

You can still purchase raffle tickets for the Charity Wings Fundraiser up until 7:45pm EST. The grand prize Cricut Expression 2 giveaway will be drawn at 8pm EST!!! See you there : ) Sb 

CLICK HERE TO GET TICKETS

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin