Translate

**If you have previously subscribed to received my posts via email: Please subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin in the right sidebar.**

Friday, October 25, 2013

Flashback Friday... Halloween Shaker Accordion with Ranger Distress Ink Faux Wood Pages




Hi Everyone! It's finally Friday and I'm sharing a Halloween project that I made back in July {you know us crafters working on whatever strikes our muse at the moment}. This project is full of inked and stamped goodness... and SPOOKY - too!

I created this haunted accordion book using two sections of the Genuinely Jane Studios Wood Book - Square With Star Cut Out - G102 Size: 4 x 4" for the covers of this Spooky Stamped Mini Book. The wood pages are covered using misted brown paper mounted using VLVS! MIRACLE SHEETS; then overstamped with layers of barbed wire background #5793... just to start! The inside accordion pages are a plethora of inky stamped goodness using loads of VLVS! stamps and a SURPRISE awaits on the back cover. Please read on for a little how-to of how I got the stamped detailing on the cover and more of my book...


I started with some seasonal paper scraps, the Genuinely Jane Studios Wood Book - Square With Star Cut Out - G102 Size: 4 x 4" and some blank cardstock and my stash of Halloween Viva Las VegaStamps!


Misted and painted crumpled brown paper will cover the wood base pages to house my accordion.


I taped over the holes with masking tape to create a flat surface and adhered to backside of painted paper using a pre-cut section of MIRACLE SHEET.


I cut the paper with approx. 1/2" overhang, then used Miracle Tape around the edges.


Making nice hospital corners, I wrapped the edges around to create the front and back cover. I repeated these steps to cover the other panel with the star cutout {see below}.


Originally I had started with an accordion cardstock of natural/creme color, but it was too stark with the beautiful covers. So I quickly cut, scored and assembled another out of chipboard using more sections of MIRACLE SHEET {I LOVE THIS STUFF}. Then using several Ranger Distress Inks colors, I rubbed ink pad to paper in liner strokes to create this faux wood grain that has loads of depth and detail. My hands were permanently orange for the weekend, too! Setting this aside to dry, I got to work on my covers again.


Using the barbed wire I stamped it in pigment ink and then applied a rust embossing powder. This is before I heat set. After I heat set some of the detail was lost as the embossing powder was very distress-like and pretty much covered everywhere - even the negative areas.


So I inked up the stamp again and applied more barbed wire right on top, then heat set again. This made for nice depth as some of the detail stayed forward and some of the newly stamped image blended into the embossing powder. I never reapplied more EP.


This is the completed front cover after a third stamped layer and heat setting. I finished up by adding some faux barbed wire decor from the Dollar Tree and a salvaged vintage cabinet knob. 



This is the back cover wrapped the same way. Because I am making this side a shaker star, I left off the barbed wire detail... I have something else in mind. I lined the backside with one of my patterned paper scraps and ran a bead of Diamond Glaze in the edges to seal the cracks so my confetti doesn't get lodged there in the Miracle Tape.



I have a fun selection of seasonal confetti - they are fun for all kinds of projects and perfect to make shakers. I selected some stars and other shapes and also a few colors of seed beads. To seal up I ran a bead of Diamond Glaze near the outer edge of the star shape then took a toothpick to spread it close to the edge - being careful not to let it seep over the edge. I waited a couple minutes for it to begin to set up, then I applied my acetate stamped with the Oct. 31 #18899Fancy Spider Web Corner #19208, and Spider #16794 all Viva Las VegaStamps! in Jet Black StazOn ink. I added doodle accents with a black and white pen, and also my fav Sakura of America Gelly Roll Stardust Clear Pen. I set an acrylic block on top to give even pressure to the Diamond Glaze and left to dry for a little bit.


  
I finished off the edges with some fiber wrapped black metallic pipe cleaners and screwbrads that have the same rusted embossing powder treatment.


There is so much more to go inside this book - now that Halloween is finally just days away... I will have plenty of memories to tuck inside!

Have a wonderfully creative weekend. I hope you are inspired to get in your studio and PLAY! See you tomorrow for Sketch-it Saturday with Unscripted Sketches :) Sb

2 comments:

  1. This is rally awesome. Love it! Thanks for sharing. Karina:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I haven't made a shaker in years and I'm thinking that I need to set free some of my confetti :) As always, thank you for the inspiration ~

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin