Translate

**If you have previously subscribed to received my posts via email: Please subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin in the right sidebar.**

Monday, October 27, 2014

#Halloween's almost Here and I'm Going a Little Batty in my #Cre8time



Greetings Friends! It's the last Monday of October and time for another Deflecto USA Ambassador Design Team Challenge. This month we've set off in another direction, and today's project is just one of many I have or our "Clips, Grips and Tags... Oh My" Challenge. This month's challenge is perfect for the upcoming holiday season which is fast approaching and starts with Halloween.

For more information on the Deflecto line of products,


Today the entire Deflecto USA Ambassador Design Team is sharing a variety of creative and imaginative uses for a variety of Deflecto Clips, Grips and Tags so you'll want to CLICK HERE to jump over to the Deflecto Craft Facebook Page to see more of the teams creations.

I don't have children {yet} and don't normally dress up as Halloween falls during the big annual international boat show here in SoFL. This means my hubs and I are usually working doubletime prior to and during the event {and it falls over Halloween every year}. But I do LOVE to wear festive head adornments that are easy on and off... and I set out to make a fabulous Halloween Fascinator using oly*fun™ fabric, a headband, tulle, lace, seasonal floral/feather picks, Beacon Fabri-Tac adhesive, and some fun metal tags from Deflecto.


I have fallen in love with oly*fun™ and have been using it for all kinds of projects. CLICK HERE to read more new fabric from Fairfield Worldoly*fun™ comes in a fun assortment of 18 colors which makes creating pretty much anything possible... especially when it comes to making costumes. CLICK HERE to jump over to see some fabulous costumes created using this fun fabric.


To begin, I sketched a bat pattern template on some cardstock, cut out and traced onto a couple colors of oly*fun™ using a white pencil.


I cut out a variety of circles to create a "one-eyed" bat, two layers of my bat in black and one in purple that was slightly larger to give some added detail.


Now to prepare my layers for gluing. I made three layers thick for extra stability and because I will be embedding the Deflecto metal tags in between the layers so that my wings will fly and I can mount bat vertically on my headband.


I've also dismantled a purple tulle fairy skirt from the Dollar Tree to add some additional details. One circle is the last layer for an added touch of whimsy.


Using Beacon Fabri-Tac adhesive, I glued down the layers of my one-eyed bat and then moved on to adhere the black front to the purple center layer. I set aside the other black bat which will be the backside to conceal all of my support mechanisms inside.


Before I add the support system, I have added some tulle fringe to the edges of the wings... it's whimsical, girly and OF COURSE - purple!! I glued gathered strips along the edge using Fabri-tac - all of which will be hidden after final assembly.


This project features the Deflecto Flexible Sign Dangler Item Number 20014, which are 6" flexible thin silver metal strips with an adhesive tab on each end. Twist it, bend it, flex it and add a sign where needed. They come in a 20 piece package. I've bent and wrapped a couple around my headband as supports when I mount my bat vertically, and there will be more concealed within the layers of fabric.


These strips are be perfect to add structure and stability for my batty fascinator - keeping it's wings in flight without sagging. I left a small pocket open in the bottom of the eye to insert the tabs mounted to the headband when I'm ready to wear.


Now I have a little discoloration in a couple places that are from the adhesive seeping through the fabric. Thinking quick on my feet... I knew exactly what to do. ADD BLING!!!


I grabbed my black soot Ranger Distress Stickles and started adding glittery detail to my bat and concealing the problem areas in the process.


This turned out to be a happy accident as the detail added personality to "Ms. Bat". I had to let this sit overnight to dry, but it was so worth the wait.

Batty Fascinator... all ready to wear!


I wrapped some black tulle and lace around the base of my headband and gently slid the bat onto the mounts. When I'm ready to wear, I will remove the adhesive tabs and press them down for permanent adhesion. I've gathered my resin skull pendant choker, spooky spiderweb cape and the seasonal floral/feather picks to add height and drama to my "Batty Fascinator". I tried it out on a test run to plan my updo... all I can say is that it's going to be so AMAZING on Halloween. CLICK HERE to jump over to the Deflecto Craft Facebook Page to see more of the teams creations to inspire your holiday creating and entertaining using Deflecto Clips, Grips and Tags.

How would you decorate and entertain

Thanks for visiting! Please join me the LAST MONDAY of each month when the Deflecto USA Ambassador Design Team will have a new Deflecto product challenge to debut.
 :) Sb

For more information on the Deflecto line of products,

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word, this is Bat-ulous! So creative, great job. Love accidental happiness also!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin