Translate

**If you have previously subscribed to received my posts via email: Please subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin in the right sidebar.**

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Framing Up a Special Friend... #Cre8time Memory Keeping with Deflecto Craft Frames


Greetings Friends! Springtime is finally here - though here in South Florida we're already feeling the summer heat. Today I am sharing a special commemorative gift that I made using one of the beveled edge craft frames from Deflecto. 


About a week ago we heard that my brother in law's dog had gone to the big dog park above. Rusty was more than just his dog... he was the family dog - a gorgeous golden retriever with a heart of gold. We have a family dinner this weekend so I want to bring a special gift for my brother in law framed in one of my Deflecto Craft frames. I have several photographs of Rusty that I had taken back in 2009 for use in one of my "Wreck this Journal" projects. He was such a good sport in partnering to help me with some creative madness.

For more information on the Deflecto line of products,


This month the Deflecto USA Ambassador Design Team is sharing a variety of creative and seasonal uses for Deflecto Craft products so you'll want to CLICK HERE to jump over to the Deflecto Craft Facebook Page or Deflecto on Pinterest to see more of the teams creations.


For this special commemorative gift I used the 5"x7" Deflecto Beveled Edge Frame Item #799593CR. A premium clear acrylic frame featuring a beveled edge with metal knobs that unscrew easily to be used vertically or horizontally. The edge has a tint of green so that it looks like real glass and photo/signage floats securely between two plastic panels. It's modern, sleek and will blend perfectly with any home decor. 


First thing I needed to do was select a photo then do a little creative photo editing in Photoshop. I cropped my photo to 6 1/2" x 8 1/2", the same size as the frame edge to edge and printed it out on my color laser printer {I could also take it on a disk to the drug store photo lab to get it printed}.

I mounted my print to a sheet of black cardstock for the backside and trimmed to the fit the frame. I needed to use a hole punch to punch holes where the screws secure the photo between the two plexiglass panels.


Now I need a custom piece to finish it all off. For this I got out a little metal dog tag that I have in my stash of items to mold. I mold this using Amazing Mold Putty to make a custom embellishment for my framed photo with Rusty's name. This is a two-part molding putty that is quick and easy to use and cures in about 15 minutes.


Now to prepare for a bit of resin. I brushed the mold with Alumilite Bronze and Silver Metallic Powders to add color that will adhere to the poured resin.


I prepare a small batch of Amazing Casting Resin - a 2 part resin that cures an opaque white that cures in about 10 minutes. It's lightweight and perfect for making embellishments in a jiffy. I added no dyes - the grey color is from the metallic powders swimming around during the curing process... a little happy magic that happens in small castings.


When cured I remove the tag. I'm really happy with the metallic sheen from the metallic powders. I punch the hole through and gently sand the edges on the back. I use some metal stamp letters to hammer "RUSTY" into the tag. I finish off with a silver brad and tie onto the frame with some black fibers. I was going to hang the tag from a section of a dog collar I picked up at the Dollar Tree - but it was a little out of sorts with the simple design of the frame. I want our special friend to be the focal point.

Remembering Rusty...


This one of a kind special gift turned out amazing and my BIL really loves it. I'm glad I made a mold of the tag - I'm pretty sure I'll be making a few more of these for other family members too. Rusty was a traveling dog and he never missed a family gathering.


How would you memory keep with Deflecto Craft Frames?

Thanks for visiting! Please join me each month when the Deflecto USA Ambassador Design Team will has a new Deflecto product challenge to debut.  :) Sb

For more information on the Deflecto line of products,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin