Translate

**If you have previously subscribed to received my posts via email: Please subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin in the right sidebar.**

Sunday, April 15, 2018

Have you heard?! 2018 Favecrafts Best Blogger Contest Finalist!



Hello everyone! I just wanted to share my make that is one of the 20 finalists in the 2018 Favecrafts Best Blogger Contest. This is my third year entering and I am honored and so excited to have been selected in the top 20 with a fabulous upcycled tray.

I have a FAVOR to ask... the top 20 finalists need votes to judge who has the winning project. There are two days left to vote. Would you please take a moment to visit https://www.favecrafts.com/voting/Blogger-Contest-2018/ to see the top 20 projects and vote on my project -or- your favorite. Voting closes Monday, April 16 11:59pm.


I've given this old, faded plastic tray from the TV show "Friends" a Cre8time transformation -- one that is sugary sweet!


To see all the entries
and to VOTE
for your Favorite


I wiped clean tray to prepare for altering. This has a shiny surface and I would like to alter that, so I coat entire tray with a coating of Mod Podge® Ultra Matte Chalk. I'm not really concerned about the brush strokes as it dries clear - I just want to alter the finish of this shiny plastic tray. I applied a second coat when the first layer was dry and the result is a fabulous faux surface resembling "old" painted wood.


While the tray is drying, I gently disassemble a treat bag and use a paper trimmer to cut to size {which is 10 1/2" x 7 1/2"}. I used a corner rounder punch to round corners for a perfect fit. Add distressing by gently crumpling the prepared paper to add a bit of texture and to take attention away from the fold lines.


I pour some Mod Podge® Antique Matte into the base of the tray, spreading to the edges and cover the base completely, and brush excess onto backside of prepared paper. This product looks like pancake batter, though it dries clear.

I placed the paper pattern side up into tray, then used a squeegee to gently press out air bubbles and the excess Mod Podge®. I use a brush to paint remaining Mod Podge® overall to seal paper in place and give the surface an antique treatment. I am quite impressed with how it transforms the very reflective and glossy surface on the paper treat bag. The metallic sheen is completely different.


I prepare some feet using recycled water bottle lids with a punched circle of the patterned paper bag PODGED into the center of each. I made a braid of the Bernat® Maker Home Dec™ yarn to line the edge around my reNEWed decoupage tray and tacked in place using the Mod Melter. I also wrapped some yarn around handles and prepared feet and glued in place.

BEFORE...


AFTER!


But I'm not stopping here! I have one more thing to do to add that finishing touch... I use various colored Sakura of America Gelly Roll pens to doodle some sugar skull features, scrollwork and flowers into the design.


This throwaway tchotscke has a new lease on life! I just love how the yarn braid gives a woven touch to this recycled project - adding charm to the faded pink tray. I love how this Dia De Los Muertos makeover on my tray turned out and all of the sparkle and shine!!


Wish me luck! Thanks so much for visiting and thanks in advance for voting! Sb :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin