Translate

**If you have previously subscribed to received my posts via email: Please subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin in the right sidebar.**

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

#Cre8time for #Upcycled Handmade Holiday Decorations... Christmas in July Bloghop with The Robins Nest and Smoothfoam™



It's Christmas in July!! Have you started your handmade holiday cards or giftmaking? I have and I just returned from having a Christmas in July with my whole family in Chicago. This trip it was hot, just like South Florida... but anytime I'm home in Chicago I can get in the holiday spirit... and I've captured "Frosty" in a snowglobe!



Today you are in for a treat - so go grab some hot chocolate and some cookies! Today we have a new Designer Crafts Connection Bloghop which we have teamed up with Smoothfoam™ and The Robin's Nest... making dimensional, paper-crafted Christmas projects to get you ready for the holidays and early enough to get your holiday Cre8time creations started.


I began with a Smoothfoam™ 12" x 12" x 5/8" Scrapbook Page Mount and one 2 1/2" Diameter Ball cut in half, then quartered. The Smoothfoam™ is suprisingly easy to cut and doesn't leave a blizzard of foam bits around.


  

I'm fashioning my snow globe from recycled one liter water bottle, topped off with a recycled wine cork, and a recycled container lid for a base. I trimmed the bottom off the bottle, laid on side and traced shape onto The Robin's Nest Black and White Pinetree Glitter Cardstock with a pencil. I cut the shape using a paper trimmer for straight edges and scissors to round the top, then slid into bottle to test fit. After a few adjustments to the height and width - this snowy scene is a perfect fit!

  

The foam circle cut serves as a base for my snow globe scene which will be concealed when complete. This will help suspend my background and snowman. Using a metal ruler I created a gap going about halfway through the foam to slide the pinetree cardstock into. I hot glued a section of the quartered foam ball to each side of the background paper.


After fussy cutting The Robin's Nest Glitter Snowmen, I added some dimensional glaze to the hat, eyes and nose and adhered Black Diamond Dew Drops to his front. The scarf is a tied section of Robin's nest rick-rack with edges frayed. I added clear adhesive to keep fraying to a mininum - this darkened the The Robin's Nest Rusty Rose Rickrack... so I added more lines adhesive to create a striped effect. So cute!


I could have two completely different scenes in my snowglobe, but for this project - I made it the same with a snowman on each side. The embellished snowmen are hot glued to the base. I filled in around the base with some scrunched up white tulle and a section of recycled tree tinsel.

  

I punched a snowflake from The Robin's Nest Stormy Skies Glittered Cardstock, then adhered six Clear Diamond Dew Drops in a star pattern to add dimension and shine. This will be my topper accent piece - nestled amongst a wrapping of fuzzy fibers and a wrap of matching Rusty Rose Rickrack.


Using a clear adhesive, I glued Pearl and Red Diamond Dew Drops around the edge of my recycled container lid - this adds some color and transforms the lid into a whimsical base for my snow globe.

I tore a strip of 
The Robin's Nest Stormy Skies Glittered Cardstock and wrapped around base of bottle to add a layer of faux snow and to conceal edges of foam structure inside. Placed onto the blinged up base... this scene is complete.

"Frosty the Snowman" in a Bottle!


CLICK HERE to see jump to the beginning of the hop at DesignerCraftsConnection.blogspot.com.

Visit The Robin's Nest blog at

Visit the Smoothfoam™ blog at

Want to get a jumpstart on your Christmas Crafting... there's blog candy to be won! Enter to win $50 worth of 
Smoothfoam™ and $35 worth of The Robin's Nest products by leaving comments on each post. This blog hop runs today through midnight 7/28/2015.



+ + + + + + + + + + + +

Thanks so much for visiting! For more ideas and inspiration follow the Designer Crafts Connection "Christmas Crafts Challenge" by selecting hop back/forward on the logo below to enjoy all of the wonderful creations. Sb :)

11 comments:

  1. Oh my, wonderful work!!! Lov it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this idea. You have inspired me once again! I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Susan! I love the tutorial! Wonderful project too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love snowmen and this project is so pretty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun project! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun idea - - love how you transformed your recycled pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! What an awesome idea of creating a snow globe. Fantastic creation!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin