Translate

**If you have previously subscribed to received my posts via email: Please subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin in the right sidebar.**

Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Vintage "Holly Greetings" Tag for Week 3 of Anything But a Card Challenges No. 30



Good Morning Everyone! Today begins week three of Challenge Number 30 at Anything But a Card Challenges. CLICK HERE to jump over to the challenge intro and where to LINK UP your creations. Today my work is featured with a few of the other designers... CLICK HERE to check out the other design team projects today for some amazing inspiration!


The current Challenge... Anything But a Card Challenge #30 - Anything Goes... With a Holiday Twist! This challenge is an open theme – but we love the holidays too and can't wait to see what everyone is creating! Please share any current project you have created, and if it's Holiday themed that's perfectly OK, too! JUST REMEMBER... create anything EXCEPT a card for this challenge AND please mention and LINK BACK to this challenge. ALSO - Please new projects only {no-backlinking}. :)

**A REMINDER** This Challenge will go through midnight Dec. 21st...so you have one week left  to play along and ENJOY the creative process! I hope you a chance to squeeze in some Cre8tive playtime and join the fun.


 

Today I'm sharing my take on T!m Holtz' December installment of the 12 tags of 2013. If you missed my tag for November... you can click here to view {I promise it's worth a peek}. I took some liberties with creating this month's tag. Using my stash of Viva Las Vegastamps! and other crafty bits already on hand, I experimented and created my own dimensional frosted plastic. I had a bit of fun with this and the result is STUNNING!



Using a section of a recycled #6 take out container, a scrap of vellum cardstock and a section of Miracle Sheet {double sided super sticky tape in sheet form} - I fashioned my own faux frosted plastic by adhering the two together. If you have made your own DIY shrink plastic using a recycled #6 plastic container - you know that the plastic will warp and bend when heated. If you heat it a lot - it will shrivel up into a shrinky dink.


I stamped Holly Large #18930 repeatedly onto the vellum cardstock side using Timber Brown StazOn and then fussy cut out all of my pieces. This vellum is cardstock weight so it's not as translucent as regular weight vellum. I have both - yet the lighter weight remains illusive so I used what I found first.


I started out this month's tag painting the base tag background by dragging tag through smattering of Old Paper, Antique Linen, Antique Bronze and Picket Fence Distress Stains. I distressed the edges with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink. 


Then I began adding my stamped images (Holly Small #18929Holly Leaf 3760Leafy Border #6292; and Ornate Corner Left #18928) creating a border using Timber Brown StazOn Ink. I wanted to keep with the vintage feel so the dark brown ink really compliments the background and will make my colorful holly "POP". I added pattern to the background using an ink blending tool with the Harlequin Mask from UmWowStudio; first using Frayed Burlap Distress Ink. Then I shifted stencil over to hit reverse areas with Iced Spruce Distress Ink. It was a little bright now, so I toned the background down by brayering on a layer of Picket Fence Distress Stain. I finished off with some splatter dots of Picket Fence Distress Stain - the splatter is subtle, yet gives the snowy effect.


Now it's time to color my holly leafs. They all got a quick douse of color with Peeled Paint, Brick Red and Vintage Photo Distress Stains. When dry, I added more detail and color with various Distress Inks and an ink blending tool.


I know it's hard to see here in the photo - but these are my heated and curled dimensional holly leaves. Holding with heatsafe tweezers, I gently heated and shaped each leaf to my liking. In a couple areas I heated the leaves a little too much and the plastic began to shrink a little, but it just added to the charm of the shaped leaves. It's clear and on the backside - so it's not really noticeable.

For the final assembly - I added some Diamond Glaze to add some "POP" to the holly berries and to accent details of the holly leaves (here and there). I layered the sections of holly to my liking and added a piece of black 3-D pop dots to anchor leaves down as they lay naturally. I finished off with adding some pink sticky back crystals and pearls for berries that I colored red with a permanent marker (now they match perfectly). 

Happy Holly Greetings!


This tag is complete... all tied off with a shimmery gold/red satin ribbon. I'm pretty happy the way that it is at this point, but I may go back and add the white splatter for snow. I'm feeling in this case "less is more".

• • • • • • • • • • • • •

Viva Las VegaStamps used: "Holly Greetings" #6043Holly Large #18930Holly Small #18929Holly Leaf 3760Leafy Border #6292; and Ornate Corner Left #18928. Supplies used: Vellum Cardstock; Recycled #6 plastic take out container; Timber Brown Staz-On Ink; various Ranger Distress Distress Stains; various Ranger Distress Inks; Versafine Black Ink; Miracle Sheets, Harlequin Mask from UmWowStudio; Diamond Glaze Dimensional adhesive; Red permanent marker; sticky back pearls and gems; black 3-D pop dots; and ribbon from stash.

• • • • • • • • • • • • •

Thanks for stopping by today! I hope you find a little time to do some creating amongst all the holiday hustle and bustle. I look forward to seeing what you create {CLICK HERE to LINK UP your projects}.  :) Sb

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE your leaves & berries!! They would make a lovely necklace, maybe earrings. . . charms. . .OK you get the idea :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely fabulous tag and I loved reading about the techniques you used. The holly is stunning and the berries look like little jewels. FAB-U-LOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan what a lovely tag. The textures are all fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this tag with all of its layers. Thank you for sharing your 'how it was done' techniques... cool! The holly and berries are fabulous! Cheers, Di

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin