Translate

**If you have previously subscribed to received my posts via email: Please subscribe to my posts via Bloglovin in the right sidebar.**

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Tribute to my Dad: Ralph V. Novak



Ralph Vincent Novak, of Shelby, AL, was born June 28, 1942 in Berwyn, IL and passed away June 23, 2008. He left behind his wife, Betty; daughters, Susan Brown (Dan) and Alice Potchen (Robert); and granddaughters, Alexis and Inanna; other family members and friends. Inquiries please contact: sbartist1107@yahoo.com.
This ran in the Chicago Tribune 6.26.2008.

I don't think it has really sunk in for me yet. All I know is that I am thankful that he waited and his broken heart held up through all the years of waiting. I had been separated from my father for about 25 years, due to divorce. My sister and I reunited with him on Valentine's Day, 2004. And what a reunion it was - it was like no time had ever passed! He was just as we remembered, except, he was very sick. He certainly didn't look it.

A self-taught artist | he was a painter and also created with glass via torch [glass-blowing]. He earned a living for many years blowing glass at Circus World, Cypress Gardens and on the art show circuit. I had thought for years that my talents were passed down from my maternal grandmother, who is also a painter. But that day, I fully realized that the talents I have were pulsing in my veins from birth. And what a collector he was! This filled in all the blanks and PROCLAIMED that I was definitely my 'Father's Daughter'.

A week and three days later, I am still in a daze & my father seems to be poking me in my sleep, my most cherished time, keeping me awake...this night I decided to post this memorium. Dad, I know you are out there watching...you have poked this bear...I have recovered your recipes and I might return fire with a pumpkin pie...
with love always, your lil' devil girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin